From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 10:21 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Use of "sequence numbering" in current HLASM source?

I know where our "love" of putting sequence numbers in columns 73-80 comes
from. But the only thing that I know of that continues to really use them is
IEBUPDTE. So I'm wondering if it is really worth the bother to have them
anymore. Now, most here would likely say "what bother? ISPF makes it easy."
True. *If* you are using the ISPF editor and keep your HLASM source code in a
RECFM=FB,LRECL=80 data set. It may not be as well known here as in other fora,
but I have a real liking for UNIX (and Linux). I mainly keep my source in z/OS
UNIX files in specific subdirectories instead of as members in a PDS. I have
also fallen in love with FLOWASM's "free format" input for HLASM. And,
recently, I have gotten to liking using "git" on Linux for "change control" (it
is a version control system such as CVS, Subversion, ...). So I am now often
keeping a copy of my source in Linux as well. Since I can't use "git" in z/OS
UNIX because I cannot find a port of it.

So, other than being "non main stream" and even "obsessively weird", is there
any *technical* reason to maintain sequence numbers?

attachments from your system.