There are some reasons, albeit llittle known, to keep line numbers:

   1. With STATS and NUM on, ISPF edit stores the edit session number in
   79-80.  It's the same as the MM of VV.MM column in the ISPF member
   list.  This information is useful in edit, browse, and compiler/assembly
   listings.
   2. With the default increment, listings (whether printed or on DASD) are
   still useful even after modest changes.

Anything that preserves information and/or promotes productivity is a good
thing.

On the down-side, the ISPF edit locate (L) command can't be used with the
line numbers in messages.  So I use an edit macro that I call LL. This is a
bare-bones version:

/* REXX */
address isredit
"macro (LinCount)"
"up max"
"down" LinCount
return 0

Also on the down-side, you loose some potential source code real estate.
Unless you are using a 3278-5 (132x27emulation configuration), and have the
right ISPF terminal settings, this is no big loss.  Most people choose not
to scroll left and right to use that area on 80 column emulation.

--
OREXXMan