I have a XML parser (SAX and DOM) which is written in C
and is very fast. It runs on z/OS, but on other platforms, too
(Linux, Windows, OS/2). On z/OS, I built an interface to make
calls from PL/1 possible, and the routines for the SAX events
can also be PL/1 routines. The same is of course possible for
ASSEMBLER; the PL/1 interface (or the C interface) should in
my opinion be usable by HLASM without any investment.

I recently observed that the storage management which is built
into this parser outperforms standard malloc/free of LE (it is
optimized especially to deal with many allocations of small areas
of storage).

If you're interested, please contact me offline to discuss further details.

Kind regards

Bernd