I do not see much difference in performance between my substringing
operation and Mr. Perryman's; and I prefer that counters count what
they are counting in unbiased, if you will simplistic, fashion.

Tricks  lead others astray unless they are accompanied by tediously
detailed comments, and sometimes even then.  Mais, a chacun son goƻte.

In any case all such operations should be packageded up in a macro.
My own is imaginatively called PADDER.  It pads on the left or right
parametrically with repetitions of a nominated or default single
character or repetitions, perhaps truncated, of a nominated character
string of non-identical characters.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA