There's no performance difference. Although I add comments, most just look at
the code and quickly understand it's padding by dropping the 1 off the front of
the number.

If you don't like the TRICK, then use one of the following. I tend not to write
macros for 1 line. 4 lines if you check the size.
&PADDED  SETC   '000&C'(K'&C,4)      pad left to 4 characters
&PADDED  SETC   '&C.000'(1,4)           pad right to 4 characters

Jon Perryman.