From: "David Stokes" <sto...@interchip.de>
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2014 5:47 PM

Binyamin Dissen wrote:
When "it requires a base register" is stated, it obviously means a CODE base
register. One wonders how that can be confused.

Why? (It's use of terminology, not confusion). Storage addresses in
z/Architecture are
Base/Displacement,
or direct register addresses. A base register doesn't necessarily refer to
storage containing
instructions.
There is no technical difference between a "code base" and any other base
register,
so to claim there is seems to me to be confusing the issue. To address a field
in a DSECT
(usually)
"requires a base register". ("Now I need another register to base this new
DSECT"?)
We have one or two bits of code that are set up in dynamic storage and
addressed via
the DSECT base register. Is that also then a code base? Also an MVC may or may
not need a
"code base register", if it is a code base when addressing constants. Is the
base needed by EX a
cbr,
because its target is an instruction? Or is that just a, hmm, non-cbr (non?)br?
Fragen über
Fragen.
Of course, MVCL does not use a base, of whatever sort.

Um, how do you get addresses into the relevant registers required by MVCL?

---
is active.