It is now clear that we are dealing here with neither confusion nor
disagreement alone but with an unholy admixture of both.

It cannot be remedied by fiat.  David Stokes writes of addressing a
field in a DSECT using a base register, 'basing' a DSECT.  I do not.
I talk and write about 'mapping' storage using a DSECT as a template.
 In any case a register is [usually] required, and David is free to
call it a base register if he wishes.

Steve Hobson's second-time-around distinction:

<begin extract>
Both MVC and MVCL use registers to locate their operands. I am aware
that S-type operands (as in MVC) comprise a base register and a
displacement whereas R-type operands that contain an address (as in
MVCL) are not actually called "base registers".
</end extract>

is the one I was trying to preserve.  [I should have written "whereas
the registers that contain R-type operands" instead, but I am a
notorious use-and-mention pedant.]

--
John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA