On 2014-06-07, at 14:46, John Gilmore wrote:

> I certainly concede the possibility of front-ending BSAM or QSAM.
> Nevertheless, the data-management facility for multiple-member
> operations is BPAM; and in most circumstances it is the one that
> should be used.  With my back to the wall I could even dispense with
> BSAM too, rolling my own instead using EXCP; but such expedients are
> for back-to-the-wall situations, not for routine use.  Moreover, they
> are not very robust out of the hands of the few.

Another contributor to this thread told me long ago that IEBCOPY did
not (then) rely on customary access methods.  Rather, with the goal of
best performance it used specialized channel programs and facilities
such as EXCP V=R and I/O appendages.  In consequence, it needed to
operate with APF priviliges and could not deal with VIO.

I suspect that the advent of PDSE partly impelled conversion to more
conventional access methods rather than duplicating in IEBCOPY
facilities available in PDSE and Binder.

-- gil