On 2017-03-24, at 09:17, Charles Mills wrote:

> Warnings are not much better or different than errors. It sounds great to
> say "issue a warning" but the fact is that then the programmer has to either
> (a.) live with and ignore RC=4 for the life of the project; of (b.) change
> the code. If the former then why issue the warning at all; if the latter
> then it is no better or different than an error. I think warnings in this
> situation are kind of wishy-washy: either it's wrong or it's not. I get the
> difficulty in deciding whether LHI 0,X'FFFF' is wrong or not, but saying it
> is half wrong (4 rather than 8) is just bailing on the decision.

Agreed.  It appears that some instructions report a range violation
by a Logical Immediate operand with a warning; others as an error.
I see no rationale for this.  (I'd call them errors.)

And no alert is noted for Logical Immediate Fullword violations
because 2**32-1 can not be represented as an expression value.

-- gil