One reason to implement the messages as warnings instead of errors is that
warnings can be suppressed, using options like SUPRWARN, TYPECHECK, FLAG,
ALIGN, USING(WARN()), and maybe others.  Some of these warnings can also
be suppressed "locally" using ACONTROL.  I'm not aware of any errors that
can be suppressed, and I suspect that that is intentional.

Hopefully whatever proposal is submitted to IBM won't ask for existing
warnings to be removed.

- mb

IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> wrote on
03/24/2017 11:17:02 AM:

> From: Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org>
> To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> Date: 03/24/2017 11:18 AM
> Subject: Re: HLASM "Anomaly"
> Sent by: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>
> Apologies for the late reply. Outlook thought this was SPAM.
>
> Warnings are not much better or different than errors. It sounds great
> say "issue a warning" but the fact is that then the programmer has to
either
> (a.) live with and ignore RC=4 for the life of the project; of (b.)
change