From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Gary Weinhold
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 11:26 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Save areas (not XPLINK).

It was Tom Marchant:

https://share.confex.com/share/119/webprogram/.../Save_area_Conventions.pdf

Gary Weinhold
Senior Application Architect

__________
On 2017-05-30 11:03, John McKown wrote:

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Gary Weinhold
<weinh...@dkl.com><mailto:weinh...@dkl.com> wrote:

I have notes that indicate there can be an F1SA, which means that this savearea
may be only 8 bytes long because the hardware linkage stack was used.  If R13
is non-zero, the F1SA savearea is a standard 72-byte save-area.

F6SA is supposed to mean the hardware linkage stack was used and the savearea
is 144 bytes.

I knew I was missing the first, but I couldn't find it documented. And I didn't
remember "F1SA" to do a search. I wonder why the F6SA wasn't documented along
with the others in IHASAVER (previously referenced).​

Since it is the called program that has to save all the registers, I think the
answer to question 2 could only be that the alet of previous savearea is the
value in AR13 at entry.

Regarding question 3: Do you have any control over what languages are calling
you?  I haven't come across any standard LE-supported languages using anything
but the historic 72-byte format, but there may be announcements I've missed.  I
figured these other save areas may be documented for vendor software so that
debugging software would be able to forward and backward chain saveareas with
some degree of confidence.

​This is why I called it a "philosophy" question. It is not for any particular
application that I have in mind. It is just so that I can create a "general
purpose" skeleton for HLASM that I can then customize for any particular need.
Most of my HLASM any more is LE enabled. This makes it _much_ easier to
interface to C/C++, COBOL, and PL/I.​

My notes for F8SA are different (question 1) so I can't comment.

I think my notes came from a Tom Conway article or presentation.

Gary Weinhold
Senior Application Architect

attachments from your system.