On 2017-05-30, at 09:47, Charles Mills wrote:

> I don't know the answer to your question but I share your general
> consternation. This used to be so simple: program, task or subroutine, on
> entry STM and chain.
>
> I've spent enough time on it to think there is no good general answer. I
> could be/hope I am wrong.

o Eschew assemboer in preference for languages that handle those details for
you?
  (But even some of those require global settings for such options.)

o Imagine "EXEC PGM=ASMA90,PARM=(LINKAGE(...))", where LINKAGE would condition
  ENTRY, CALL, and RETURN macros to use 32, 64, LE, or whatever.  Probably need
  a local override for inter-language calls.

-- gil