On 10/9/2017 10:05 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

Obviously, the right way to code this would have been to use ACONTROL OPTABLE
with surrounding PUSH/POP to get the newer TROT function. ...
Why would that be right?  It's still inserting an instruction unsupported
at a hardware level you intend to support.  Or is it dual-path at execution
time?

Of course, one should ensure any execution path is traversed only by hardware that supports the instructions used. That's beyond the scope of my comment.

I was merely pointing out the proper way to code an instruction from another OPTABLE is to use ACONTROL OPTABLE with surrounding PUSH/POP. ORGing back to modify an instruction is HIDEOUS! Generating the entire instruction using DC would be even worse!

[snip]

Does HLASM know whether you're changing an instruction or data?  Should it
simply
notify of all negative ORGs?

I don't want notification of all negative ORGs. Only DC's that overlay previously-generated instructions. Something not unlike the existing RENT option...

--
Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe