On 10/10/2017 2:49 AM, retired mainframer wrote:
Has your legal team considered the possibility of industrial sabotage?  It
would be pretty hard to argue that this defective code was accidental.

It's funny. Someone joked about that just yesterday, wondering if this person was collecting two salaries! LOL

I know he felt "shackled" by OPTABLE(YOP) and was always pushing for me to raise our hardware support minimums. I wouldn't do so for the reasons I have already explained.

Honestly, I think he just really, Really, REALLY wanted to use TROT to generate a hex dump of bytes instead of the "tried and true" UNPK/TR we use everywhere else throughout our code. I suspect he rationalized his subversion by saying to himself, "Oh, Ed's just being silly. Nobody runs hardware like that anymore..." and, in doing so, once again raised his defiant insubordination to the level of potentially jeopardizing our customers' businesses (and OURS!).

[Aside: You'd be surprised how old some hardware is in DR sites, even in very, very large companies with massive budgets! And, nothing is worse than having mission critical software fail in DR!]

--
Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe