On 10/18/2017 1:19 AM, Jonathan Scott wrote:
... We normally use code page 1047 for product code anyway,
where square brackets are hex AD and BD as in TEXT code pages and
the C/370 compiler.  I think that the ASCII translation should
probably use 819 rather than 7-bit ASCII as the target code page,
and should be made sensitive to the existing CODEPAGE option,
which currently only affects Unicode. Also, the CODEPAGE option
should be extended to cover a wider range, including 1047.

YES! We've been using code page 1047 for about 20 years or so for all mainframe programming environments! (Code page 37 is a distant and painful memory...)

The assembler's "hard-wired" ASCII<->EBCDIC support has never been of any value to us. We do literally *everything* dynamically (at run time) based on the customer's locale and a large CSECT full of accurately hand-crafted translate tables.

Having said that, if we had usable ASCII translation support to/from code page 1047 from the assembler, we would gladly start using some compile-time ASCII constants.

--
Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe