Ref:  Your note of Thu, 19 Oct 2017 12:13:48 -0400

z/OS Unicode Conversion Services are only available on z/OS.
There's a clue in the name. ;-)

TROO is a z instruction, which is not available in ESA/390
mode when running on CMS, which HLASM still supports.

As far as I know, there's no fast interface to iconv for
translating data in storage. I use it on VM for converting data
files between UTF-8 and EBCDIC (DBCS if necessary) after using
FTP to fetch data in binary.

SUPERC sets up an ASCII translate table in its common storage
area during initialization by copying a 256-byte base table and
optionally applying a short list of modifications if some other
table is being used. At run-time, ASCII translation is just a
translate instruction, so the method of definition has no
impact on performance.

One apparent bit of good news: Although comments in the HLASM
source say that the ASCII translation for CA fields is supposed
to leave bytes unchanged if they do not map to 7-bit ASCII, I
cannot find any reference to this in the current publications,
and indeed it specifically says that it maps 37 to 819, so I
think we are free to extend that table (used for CA) to include
the whole 256-byte mapping of code page 37 to 819. I have also
checked that the existing mappings are a true subset of the
standard full mapping of code page 37 to 819, for example as in
the ASMALTAS table.

Another bit of good news is that it turned out to be easy to add
support for CU self-defining terms, so it should be possible to
provide the complete set (CA, CE and CU).

Jonathan Scott
HLASM team, IBM Hursley, UK