From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of John McKown
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 12:14 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Any real need for sequence numbers in 73-80 any more?

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

> Sequence numbers are useful even if you've never even seen a picture
> of a Hollerith card.  They are convenient for editing, and assembler
> error messages with sequence numbers make it much easier to fix errors.

​Hum, I just look at the listing and do a find on ASMA to see the errors "in
context".

I will say that I really like IBM's approach to generating listings and errors.
I use the GCC compiler on Linux and sometimes it is a royal PITA to figure out
that the <elided> the error message is talking about.​