The terminator is specified in R0.  It could be anything - want to parse CSV
data?

...chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Paul Raulerson
Sent: February-08-18 2:46 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Fair comparison C vs HLASM

Because they don’t have any special knowledge of strings, only untyped data.
And the lengths of the data they operate on is fixed and defined at compile
time, not at run time.

How about taking as a definition of a string any text that SuperC will search
for? Or a text string in ISP?

Obviously, what a string is and how it is defined varies from language to
language.  But usually they are not defined as binary data. Unicode excepted.

Just by the way, a NULL as a string terminator seems to make sense.

MVST (Move String), CLST (Compare String), SRST (Search String) are all
instructs and all work with null terminated strings.  Translate Extended is
needed to work with Unicode without loosing one’s mind…

- Paul