From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu> on behalf
of Paul Gilmartin <00000014e0e4a59b-dmarc-requ...@listserv.uga.edu>
Sent: Friday, February 9, 2018 4:34 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu
Subject: Re: Strings (was : Fair comparison C vs HLASM)

On 2018-02-09, at 13:32:29, Seymour J Metz wrote:

> I would argue that EBCDIC is intrinsically superior to ASCII. I would also
> argue that it is not intrinsically superior to, e.g., ISO-8859-15.

Let's not compare an apple to an orange grove.  I know you insist on precision;
that ASCII is a 7-bit character set and ISO-8859-15 is a particular 8-bit
superset of ASCII.

But what's EBCDIC?  It's at least a family of character sets.  The one that
corresponds closely to ISO-8859-15 is probably IBM1148.  But "ASCII" is widely
used casually for ASCII-based character sets.  See:

https://secure-web.cisco.com/18H7Eyco4-EbVopgucoUzCqNl8ASENBZwoFfmRl1luDdjcLo5PanBJQgArOGHUAh5wYVAH6GmXTY0-Ke6zMSstKU9DPMz90ubj6RxTkx3iNdYmUNgN0ozbPMSzLC5F8ikS27WMxMvm_kG3IZc6e_5AVMJ2DJLa7_ylMXngr_uZ8J1bLcDnmePoXqY30RY-7sZHMVZxBoQAVbULFtYEoSZv_OXyM20JfxKGeCqNw8ixfQU1FPPtwA-dxQL8x1njNN5Gd5GW3jUEFqORwXBpqOg7Yb7w6I9RFX4-pxuPhx5nnZUg9eAMLdSkwtXWYpgxjUlqyiqzXByJmOHd4V7CtINnSaqhrwBonnAidx-VWDHeFGt1kmkhLerBvbWIM7yDzpO7_LEQte6UETMcOw2DDSjXxNvjKJ6ggNINx78RE1Ul4YM-iMTDh-4bwkwKcUak1bV/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibm.com%2Fsupport%2Fknowledgecenter%2Fen%2FSSB23S_1.1.0.14%2Fgtpa2%2Fchar51.html

Can you suggest a more convenient term encompassing the CCSIDs called "ASCII" on
that page, less cumbersome than "ASCII-based character set" or "ASCII
compatible"
used once in that document?

-- gil