On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 4:14 PM, Paul Gilmartin <
00000014e0e4a59b-dmarc-requ...@listserv.uga.edu> wrote:

> ​...
> Is there any limit to that offset?  Might one use:
>   USING TinyArea-4000000,Byte-4000000
>
> ​The beginning of the dependent range must fall within 4095 bytes of the
hosting range.  And to be more than useless, it would need to be within
512k-1 of the register base.  Beyond that, try it if curious.
​

> The hardware folks have freedom to provide new addressing modes with
> larger reach at their whim.  For HLASM to enforce limits at USING
> time is shortsighted.  Only base-displacement should perform such
> enforcement.
>
> And IIRC I've posted here a case where HLASM allows a base-displacement
> resolution which is unconditionally incorrect in AMODE 64 and algebraically
> incorrect in AMODE 31 or 24.  I believe this is due to ignoring an
> overflow.  HLASM should report the error and users should accept that
> (extremely improbable) code relying on the loophole is incorrect.

​Well, a bug should be reported via the regular channels.​  Since I don't
recall what you're referring to, I can only say that overflow is ignored by
design in addressing; from the birth of the architecture.

--
sas