I have seen IBM DSECTS that map variable-length records, and the start of the
variable part states "EQU *"

Pieter

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [mailto:ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Steve Smith
Sent: 01 August 2018 18:34
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: EQU * considered harmful

EQU * is a very common idiom in assembler programming.  I'd like to submit
for your consideration that it is wrong, 100% of the time.

Any symbol referencing memory should always be defined with DS/DC, so the
correct alignment can be specified.  * per se, is a very useful concept,
just not on EQU.  But as far as I can see, every EQU * is a bug, either
latent or actual.

The most acceptable usage would be to generate the length of an area (*-X),
but even that can easily be done by defining an 'end' symbol, so that EQU
X-Y is available.

If I'm overlooking something, I hardly have to ask... but tell me if
there's no better way for some example.

--
sas

---