From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu> on behalf
of Steve Smith <sasd...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 12:34 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu
Subject: EQU * considered harmful

EQU * is a very common idiom in assembler programming.  I'd like to submit
for your consideration that it is wrong, 100% of the time.

Any symbol referencing memory should always be defined with DS/DC, so the
correct alignment can be specified.  * per se, is a very useful concept,
just not on EQU.  But as far as I can see, every EQU * is a bug, either
latent or actual.

The most acceptable usage would be to generate the length of an area (*-X),
but even that can easily be done by defining an 'end' symbol, so that EQU
X-Y is available.

If I'm overlooking something, I hardly have to ask... but tell me if
there's no better way for some example.

--
sas