On 08/02/2018 04:09 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On 2018-08-02, at 14:00:37, Steve Thompson wrote:

I haven't touched a Univac since 1979. So I forgot a few things. But still, the
36 bit words made it a pain for communicating with a DEC. I was asked how to
get them to talk to each other... It was interesting -- thankfully I kept doing
FORTRAN-77 and someone else built the interface box.
"If you don't have 36-bit words, you're not playing with a full DEC!"

PDP-6, decsystem-10 and decsystem-20 had 36 bits.  Vax broke the mold.

-- gil

It was NASA. They were using old equipment. I don't remember which DEC boxes they had, I was told that the I/O interface was 16bits wide.

But, the Space Shuttle flew in spite of the fun we had writing the ground support software. -- Goddard Space Flight, Beltsville MD

Regards,
Steve Thompson