I think we are missing some points here.  If you put a label on an
instruction, the symbol is defined with the correct length (2, 4, or 6),
and a type of C'I'.  Unless and until there is a MACRO that does this, I
can't endorse either DS 0H or EQU *; use structured macros instead.

OREXXMan
JCL is the buggy whip of 21st century computing.  Stabilize it.
Put Pipelines in the z/OS base.  Would you rather process data one
character at a time (Unix/C style), or one record at a time?
IBM has been looking for an HLL for program products; REXX is that language.