From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu> on behalf
of Tony Thigpen <t...@vse2pdf.com>
Sent: Friday, August 3, 2018 1:05 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@listserv.uga.edu
Subject: Re: EQU * considered harmful

Those were just made up instructions, not real code.

The point was that I was taught that when you branch around multiple
instructions, to make it clear to someone else, you can:
1) Write the *+ information so that it was obvious that there were
multiple instructions and the length you expected them to be, and,
2) Indent the instructions being branched around so that, again, it is
obvious that something needed to be looked at if the code was modified.

Personally, adding an extra label when branching around one, or two
instructions just makes the program more cluttered.

One place I used this a lot is when handling errors.
     BL     *+4+4+4
      L     R15,ERRNO_30303
      B     General_error_routine
     MVC    XXXXX,YYYYY
(Again, just typing some example code, not actual code.)

Of course, I also use GOTO in COBOL, so maybe I am just a non-standard
person.

Tony Thigpen