Ed Jaffe writes:
> We use 'Jxx *+2' which disturbs no registers and is guaranteed to fail
> with an 0C1.

I like that; OK by assembler and no branch in the normal case
but guaranteed to program check on 00.  If my old code that uses
TRAP ever needs to be updated to a relative addressing version,
I will consider using that.

I only use this technique for integrity and consistency checks
that should never fail in normal execution. If a TRAP triggers
it either indicates an internal error situation that should not
be possible or a deliberate attempt to use some code in a
non-supported way, perhaps in an attempt to bypass checks.

Jonathan Scott, HLASM
IBM Hursley, UK