On 22/04/19 22:38, Joseph Reichman wrote:
To be more clear this goes back to the original problem of tracing a
14 cesct huge piece of code I am wondering if I can identify what
instructions are modified

Software Migrations Ltd. (the company I work for) offers a migration
service to convert assembler code into functionally equivalent,
structured, efficient and maintainable C or COBOL code.
The process is totally automated but custimisable for each project.

Therefore we have to be able to detect and translate any
self-modifying code in the listing, wherever possible. We have seen some
quite dramatic improvements in performance when migrating assembler
code which does a lot of instruction modification!

(Note that the thoretical problem of determining whether a particular
program is self-modifying or not is, like the Halting Problem,
non-computable. But in practice, all examples of self-modifying code
we have encountered can be detected and translated.)

Let me know if you would like to pursue this option.

--
                        Martin

Dr Martin Ward | Email: mar...@gkc.org.uk | http://www.gkc.org.uk
G.K.Chesterton site: http://www.gkc.org.uk/gkc | Erdos number: 4