From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf
of Paul Gilmartin <00000014e0e4a59b-dmarc-requ...@listserv.uga.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2019 2:35 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Questionable Instructions in Obtaining EAX documentation

On 2019-11-11, at 09:08:39, Steve Smith wrote:

> I must agree that USING on numbers is a questionable feature; also operand
> 1 doesn't have to be 0, anything up to 2gb should work.

What's "questionable"?  Should the Assembler require a
relocatable expression?  Why?

An old (BitSavers) Assembler manual said the allowed range
was (1-2**24,2**24-1).  HLASM says, "non-negative".  I don't
believe either restriction was ever enforced.

What does "negative" mean for a relocatable expression?  Does
it depdend on the address at which the CSECT/DSECT gets loaded?

>  ... My guess is somebody in 1964 thought it was a good idea.

Prior to the advent of immediate instructions there was no better
alternative.

-- gil