2-byte RLD entries are correctly handed by the link-editor/binder and
as far as I know they aren’t deprecated.  Why would their use by Pl/I (to use
your example) perturb you?

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 7:57 PM -0500, "Seymour J Metz" <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

The default length of a Q-type constant is 4, although early PL/I compilers
used QL2. I don't know whether Enterprise PL/I still uses QL2; I hope not.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3