From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf
of Dave Clark [dlcl...@winsupplyinc.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 10:29 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Saving Caller's 64-bit Registers

"IBM Mainframe Assembler List" <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> wrote on
01/20/2022 09:36:03 AM:
> "IBM Mainframe Assembler List" <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> wrote
on
> 01/19/2022 06:05:12 PM:
> > At program entry:
> >
> > STMH 2,14,your-high-halves-save-area   13 fullwords for 2-14 high
halves

> > At program exit:
> >
> > LMH 2,14, your-high-halves-save-area
>
>         Thanks.  I take it that I shouldn't presume the caller has
> provided an extended save area for accommodating the high halves of the
> registers.  Thus, on entry, I save the low halves in the caller's save
> area but save the high halves in my own extended save area?  Or is there

> some other means of knowing whether or not to save the high halves in
the
> caller's save area?

        I found that a "standard register save area" is now defined by IBM
as 128 bytes long.  That would be the original 72 bytes (18 full words)
plus 56 bytes (an additional 14 full words).  But the links aren't working
so I can't drill into any further details than that.  Does this mean it is
only intended that 14 high halves should be saved/restored?  Would that
omit registers 0 and 15, or what?

Sincerely,

Dave Clark
--