Dave Clark wrote
<snip>
is there
some other means of knowing whether or not to save the high halves in the
caller's save area?
</snip>

This has been covered many times. It's your interface. If you documented
that they should provide a save area suitable for saving high halves in
that area then you assume that they have met the interface requirements.
If they didn't (especially with respect to save area), bad things will
happen. It's no different than if you required a 72-byte save area and
they gave you a shorter one.

Dave Clark wrote
<snip>
I found that a "standard register save area" is now defined by IBM
as 128 bytes long.
</snip>

For z/OS, no it is not. I have no idea about z/VSE.

Michael Schmitt wrote
<snip>
The problem is that the new save area formats are not compatible with the
72-byte save area format, so you can't use them in amode 31 unless you
control both the calling and called programs. And they're not supported by
Language Environment.
</snip>

Yes they are compatible (to the extent that is important) and you can use
them in any AMODE. You can chain backwards, interpreting the information
saved at offset 4. You cannot forward-chain.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design