>> ... can the BAKR instruction be used in z/VSE? <<

I am not Tony, but I guess my answer is as good.

Yes BAKR can be used in VSE - but not in CICS (or only in very very rare circumstances- AND to be very exact- not in any task switching environment (I know that I convinced one very good developer during WAVV 199?,  who now is in Israel, to use it all over the place in VSE with rought consequences)).

VSE does not set it up in  given partition until it is really used so you fill not find it unless you had at least one BAKR in your code (or the other instruction for transfer of control that needs one which has escaped me in the moment).

AND the other warning:

No support for the linkage stack in an abend situation for the dumping process, if you are in a vanilla VSE system. It is flushed and empty for the next, but not shown in dumps

Martin