On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 08:05:32 -0800, Ed Jaffe <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com>
wrote:

>On 1/27/2022 6:24 AM, Tony Thigpen wrote:
>> The answer seems to be that, while not fully known, if one of the
>> literals is present, the called program can safely know that they have
>> at least the x'08' to x'7F' are to start double-word registers. Do you
>> at least agree to that conclusion?
>
>Whaaaat?! You're saying that you want to depend on what a previous
>callee put at +4 to determine something about the length of the >caller's save
>area? That makes no sense!

It is easy to get confused, isn't it? +4 is set by the program that
obtained the save area, not the programs that use it.

>Why must we have these "Rube Goldberg" discussions in the first
>place? Can't we just follow the linkage conventions as documented
>and leave it at that?

I agree.

If you want your program to be called by existing programs that
you have no control over, and don't know how big a save area they
provide, you assume they provided only a 72-byte save area.
Otherwise, part of your program specifications is the size of save
area you require.

--
Tom Marchant