From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf
of Bob Raicer [r...@raicer.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2022 11:33 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Interpreting Explicit Decimal Numbers

<snippet from Paul Gilmartin On Fri, 18 Feb 2022 18:16:26 -0700>
. Which is he using?  Do they differ?  Is GAAP a requirement?  Does
. either Rexx support GAAP?  Does COBOL?  Does DFP?
<end>

Let me start off by stating:
- I don't know what "GAAP" means.
- I am fully aware that Dave Clark is implementing code for z/VSE.

I didn't have any of the IBM z/VSE publications on my system, so I
used citations from the z/OS publication and the corresponding
publication regarding the Rexx implementation for Microsoft Windows
and Linux.  The latter two are produced by the Rexx Language
Association and the original implementation was based upon the IBM
implementation for IBM OS/2, Microsoft Windows, and IBM AIX.  In
October 2004 IBM issued announcement ENUS904-207 which stated:

. As part of IBM's continued support of the Open Source community,
. Object REXX has been provided by IBM to the REXX Language
. Association (RexxLA).  The code is now available under an open
. source project from RexxLA under Common Public License (CPL) V1.
.
. For more information, refer to the following Web sites
.
http://secure-web.cisco.com/1GZ95TyAoGJ0K3CNKg6kU_n5-PmJmDoA1nPb6IphNyAyUzwIfsvtlIoTIVid5mq5WOSFq5DzlU0INaRKWDKq0Sv0SLMN-o2yE02D-VFTH2CONz44sLI0tGaEi9inVYv4H6KJC5Ld_gfF6aW63km4IDvUc_vKyxeApo8JHGHXvO6SUKG4BoT92P_EWb65G_5UHi6JUINgIF-yTZuWFuGGfH7UFccTQLsNBFGFw66dV-0ekblfULBalqpsEGNnPiWXYlEihJyB_n2yLsSIyktSjbWp8XMH27uxDWdGMSWiQikcfMyK2JQLtYn6lEEaRI16Lr94MJ_J9o7K0YR_wUzmjF1Y4Vf5_XI1iSK17gGYx2mvbdV71pP1ekmHXcaJVN4Ds1EaIUl6s_sgGG_dLCFx6bqfPfv5rVQ_39orF7B0BC1kZTANgNO44rErbge8tekKm/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.RexxLA.org
. http://www.ibm.com/software/awdtools/obj-rexx

Since that time RexxLA has continued to enhance its implementation
and support of Open Object Rexx.

There is also an ANSI standard for Rexx (X3J18-199X).  The RexxLA
implementation is highly conformant to this standard.  The IBM
implementation on z/OS is somewhat less so (which is kind of ironic,
since Rexx is an IBM invention).

Today I fetched the VSE/REXX Reference (SC33-6642) from the IBM web
site.  Its language regarding "Precision" and the "NUMERIC DIGITS"
instruction is virtually identical to the citations I used in my
post.

With respect to the response to my post by Tony Thigpen, advising me
to "go back and read all of Dave's posts and and the responses":

I have read each and every post since the beginning of the topic
started by Dave Clark.  I have even contributed some coding examples
to try to help him.

With respect to clarity, even Dave Clark acknowledged confusion:
"But possibly what is confusing is that this thread of questioning
is about zoned input which is only indirectly related to the zoned
output of the routine I just mentioned."  Similarly, Tom Marchant
noted his confusion:  "I'm confused.  Are you passing zoned data in
a register?  Or the address of zoned data?  Or perhaps a binary
number?"

 From my perspective, it is totally reasonable to ask for
clarifications from Dave Clark as well as from other contributors
to the discussion.

Bob