From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf
of Paul Gilmartin [00000014e0e4a59b-dmarc-requ...@listserv.uga.edu]
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2022 12:44 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Interpreting Explicit Decimal Numbers

On Feb 21, 2022, at 10:12:49, Tom Marchant wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2022 09:33:25 -0700, Bob Raicer <r...@raicer.com> wrote:
>
>> I didn't have any of the IBM z/VSE publications on my system, so I.

GIYF.  You could get that, free, from:
<http://publibfp.dhe.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/iesrre32.pdf>
If it clutters your drive too much, drag it to the Trash when you finish.
Related publications from links at:
<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zvse/6.2?topic=pdf-library>

>> used citations from the z/OS publication and the corresponding
>> publication regarding the Rexx implementation for Microsoft Windows
>> and Linux.  The latter two are produced by the Rexx Language
>> Association and the original implementation was based upon the IBM
>> implementation for IBM OS/2, Microsoft Windows, and IBM AIX.  In
>> October 2004 IBM issued announcement ENUS904-207 which stated:
>
> Just to be clear, the original implementation of ReXX was for VM in about
> 1980, well before OS/2.

Roughly, I understand (from TRL?). Rexx was developed ini concurrent efforts
on MVS and CMS.  It soon took root on CMS but languished on MVS for a couple
decades until TSL/E 2.0.  No good explanation for the difference.  CLIST is
fully as repulsive as EXEC2.  "Rexx", I understand, partly because of
trademark entanglements with "Rex".

--
gil