That would work.  However, unless you're planning to have decimal positions
later or change between leading zeros and leading blanks, you can drop ED
and the mask and just use UNPK.  Using ED in your case is just making more
work for yourself.

OREXXMan
Q: What do you call the residence of the ungulate with the largest antlers?
A: A moose pad.
:-D
Would you rather pass data in move mode (*nix piping) or locate mode
(Pipes) or via disk (JCL)?  Why do you think you rarely see *nix commands
with more than a dozen filters, while Pipelines specifications are commonly
over 100s of stages, and 1000s of stages are not uncommon.
REXX is the new C.