On 9/17/2022 2:06 AM, Abe Kornelis wrote:
Starting with reentrant programming seems a pretty tough call.

Not sure why re-entrant programming should be considered heavy lifting. Would not any assembler course teach about USING?

A typical non-reentrant program has a single code/data segment and a single USING.

A typical reentrant program has two segments: one for code and one for data -- each with its own USING. This has been common practice on other platforms (e.g., Intel) for decades.

If I were to teach an HLASM course, I can envisage my very first recommended program organization diagram showing both a code and a data segment and never once suggesting at any time during the class that code and data can be (or ever historically were) mixed. Example:

| R12 -> .---------.    R13 -> .---------.
|        |         |           |         |
|        |  Code   |           |  Data   |
|        | Segment |           | Segment |
|        |         |           |         |
|        '---------'           '---------'

Baseless should - I guess - pose less of a challenge.

Agreed. I would not make mention of based branches until the more advanced portions of the class.

--
Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe

This e-mail message, including any attachments, appended messages and the
information contained therein, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient or have otherwise
received this email message in error, any use, dissemination, distribution,
review, storage or copying of this e-mail message and the information
contained therein is strictly prohibited. If you are not an intended
of this email message and do not otherwise utilize or retain this email
message or any or all of the information contained therein. Although this
email message and any attachments or appended messages are believed to be
free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into
which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient
to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by the
sender for any loss or damage arising in any way from its opening or use.