From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On
Behalf Of Jonathan Scott
Sent: Monday, January 9, 2023 7:02 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: External symbol record for CATTR

Joseph Reichman <reichman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just compiled a Metal C program and generated sysadata
>
> I see a number CATTR assembler instructions There are 0030 records but
> I dont see 0020 external symbol records for the CATTR

CATTR normally generates an element definition (ED, 03) ESD entry for the
specified element name.  If PART is specified it will generate a part
definition (PR, 07) ESD entry instead.

Note that if you do not specify GOFF, CATTR statements will be quietly
ignored, as documented:

   Syntax Checking Only: If you code a CATTR instruction but do
   not specify the GOFF or XOBJECT option, the assembler checks
   the syntax of the instruction statement and does not process
   the attributes.

Jonathan Scott, HLASM
IBM Hursley, UK