We have just shipped APAR PH50915, an enhancement to code page
support, which makes it possible to identify the source code
page and specify the object code pages to be used for EBCDIC,
ASCII and Unicode constants (now including UTF-8):

  https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/apar/PH50915

Additional information is provided in a separate support
document linked from the APAR page.

For compatibility, the existing CODEPAGE option using a loaded
conversion table is still supported, but there is a new warning
ASMA230W issued for the first CU constant if the specified code
page number is inconsistent with the EBCDIC source code page.
This is an unfortunate exception to the normal rule that
existing programs are not affected by HLASM maintenance, not
only generating the same binary code but also not giving any new
warning messages.  We felt that we should call attention to
inconsistent conversion options, but since the default options
are inconsistent for compatibility reasons this means we have to
warn for existing programs (unless the user has changed the
CODEPAGE to 1140, the Euro equivalent of 37, which is accepted
as sufficiently consistent).  The message can be suppressed with
SUPRWARN if necessary, but the recommended approach is to use
CODEPAGE(LOCAL) which then uses an internally generated table
for Unicode based on the EBCDIC source code page.

Jonathan Scott, HLASM
IBM Hursley, UK