From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List [ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf
of Charles Mills [charl...@mcn.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 11:21 PM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: alternative to USAGE statement?

An alternative to the USING statement?

The only difference is in the source code. The executable machine code is
the same. The question is what is clearest to you?

My personal rule is that for one or perhaps two references,
AFLENG-DFHACB(,R12) is simpler and cleaner, and for more references than
that, you should definitely code a USING/DROP pair. But every coder's
mileage may vary.

The latter I would call USING/DROP; I don't have a name for the former.
Perhaps "computed offset"?

Charles