Thanks for the tips!

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On Behalf
Of Charles Mills
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2023 9:45 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: alternative to USAGE statement?

And you need to be careful to code

AH    12,AFLENG-DFHAFCB(,12)  Note comma

And not

AH    12,AFLENG-DFHAFCB(12)  Note missing comma

The first uses R12 as a base register; the second uses R12 as an index register
off of a base of 0. They will execute and produce the same results in *most*
cases with two caveats:

1. In the old days using an index register slowed things down by a cycle or so.
I don't know in the brave new world of pipelines.
2. If you are in Access Register mode -- and you probably are not -- they will
likely produce different results, because the former uses AR12 and the latter
does not.

The comma is critical in storage-storage instructions:

CLC 0(12),=C'FOO' Does not do what it appears to do at all. It compares 12
bytes starting at absolute address 0 to 'FOO' plus 9 unspecified bytes.
(Note the thread here about inadvertent references to low "core.")

CLC MYDSECTFIELD,=C'FOO' does not have that pitfall.

Charles