These days disks are virtualized. I think the unit is the track.  Two
"adjacent" tracks from a data set perspective could be on different PC
sized disks in the disk subsystem.  The "disks" are usually irrelevant as
the data is usually in cache!.
These days a "defrag" equivalent might be to free unused space in an over
allocated dataset.