Dave,
Are you trying to set/define the X'80' bit as part of the SHVPARMB definition?
Or are you trying to use the assembler to tell you the byte an OI should target?

If the former, you can do either of the following, keeping in mind you would
need to be sure you do not negate the X'80' when you populate the list.

SHVPARMB DC A(0,0,0,0,0+X'80000000)

If the latter, your example using SHVPLAST is what I have done at times. I have
also done the following:

SHVPARMB DS  5A            Parameter storage
SHVPLGTH EQU *-SHVPARMB    Parameter storage length

... populate the parameters.

               OI  SHVPARMB+SHVPLGTH-4,X'80'

      The nice thing about using the length as the EQU is you can use it
elsewhere (the only thing about this approach is SHVPLGTH must be defined
before SAVEPARM):

      SAVEPARM DS  0F            Parameter save area
               ORG SAVEPARM+SHVPLGTH
               DC   ... continue with other data areas.

               MVC SAVEPARM(SHVPLGTH),SHVPARMB

Bill Hitefield