I suspect that a dive into the Unix side is not what he wants to do.  But
it's an interesting idea.

My suggestion was primarily for BSAM with POINT.  That seems to meet the
OP's needs.  The BDAM mention was an aside, and would be overkill.

Although I might say BDAM deserves more respect than it gets from IBM.
Nevertheless, I don't think it would be smart to start developing anything
based on it.  There are easier and better modern alternatives, such as
RRDS, ESDS, LDS, Unix files... I spent a few years working with BDAM
programs & files that would have naturally fit LDS.  But, LDS hadn't been
invented yet, so we made do.

sas