All,

There's something with decimal floating point numbers
that has been eluding me for a long time.

According to PoP chapter 20, DFP numbers may be
encoded as either Left-Units View or Right-Units View.
As shown in e.g. figure 20-2.

Yet when looking at a DFP value in a dump,
it seems to be impossible to tell which view applies.
Just like a packed decimal does not have the
decimal point encoded - you just have to know
where the programmer decided it to be.
Is it indeed like that with LUV vs. RUV - you just
have to know?

Additionally, figure 9-1 lists only the RUV values;
no mention is made of LUV representation limits.
Instruction descriptions equally make no mention
of LUV vs. RUV.

To me it appears the instruction always treat the
data as RUV. Is this correct?
Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance,
Abe Kornelis.