From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On Behalf
Of Jonathan Scott
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2024 11:15 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: IEABRC anomaly

As NOP is not a branch, I would not expect NOP to be converted

by IEABRC.

It is true that NOP has an address operand.  If NOP is executed

using EX with a suitable mask in the register it can be used for

execution purposes, although this is rather obscure.

However, as the address operand is not normally used for a

branch, it might not work to convert it to relative.  For

example, I have seen code which uses NOP 1, NOP 2 etc. as

markers for debugging purposes, which would definitely cause

problems if changed to relative addressing.

Jonathan Scott, HLASM

IBM Hursley, UK

attachments from your system.