From: IBM Mainframe Assembler List <ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf
of Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2024 8:37 AM
To: ASSEMBLER-LIST@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: IEABRC anomaly

I don't recall having thought about this when providing IEABRC. But the
conclusion that it's not going to get added is likely a correct one.

Without a complex macro (which definitely is not going to happen), changing NOP
to JNOP for the cases Jonathan Scott mentioned will reject operands that are
fully valid (avoiding RC=4 if you suppress ASMA212W Branch address alignment
for <x> unfavorable). I believe his case is a very common one of using the
operand of NOP for diagnostic purposes.

While NOP perhaps isn't a branch (because it never goes anywhere), it is the
conditional branch opcode so could have been a candidate for conversion. But
functionally it is not necessary. Anyone who truly wants conversion of the
operand for some reason could avoid using NOP and code a conditional branch
with mask 0. That will get converted.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design