>> 4.05 ...is crashing on a frequent basis (several times a day)...

> 4.07 is doing the same thing.... :-/

> On to 4.08, I suppose.

experienced similar issues but found they were related to clamd
"crashing" due to invalid signatures (I'm using some extra ones)
the crash then apparently had the bad effect to cause a perl
(ASSP) crash in turn; to better diagnose your issue I'd start by
stopping both ASSP and ClamD, removing any extra signatures
and then starting ClamD with ONLY the standard sigs (and btw
disabling the additional sig download for the moment); next
start ASSP and let it run checking if the crash comes up again