Just out of curiosity what is it that is leaking in v2?  I do not have
much experience with perl, but I do knot what ASSP runs on perl.
Taking something like php, if there is a leak, it is not going to be
something the user caused, and something in the php core.

I would have assumed, perl, being a scripting language as well, the
same would hold mostly true.  As far as I know, in php, every call you
make that uses up memory, has a way to flush your used when done, but
if you forget, it will auto flush when the connection is finished.
MySql and output buffers are a good example.

Is it that perl is a little more nuts and bolts, and this is something
you have to keep a closer eye on?  Could someone provide me a small
pseudo code example of some perl that leaked badly?  I would be
curious to learn how that works.

What about tools like:
http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Test%3A%3AMemory%3A%3ACycle
http://search.cpan.org/~lds/Devel-Cycle-1.11/lib/Devel/Cycle.pm

They seem very simple methods for learning where the problems could
come from.  Maybe there are parts of ASSP that might deserve to be
looked at as candidates for C, where things could be optimized much
more?

Not trying to bash on perl in any way, I am genuinely curious to
understand this issue.