You're correct in that RFC1342, a proposed standard (from 1992!!) does say:

...an encoded-word MUST NOT appear in any portion of an "address".

However, RFC6532 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6532, also just a *proposed
*standard but from 2012, 20 years newer than 1342, and one that seems to
have a lot of senders providers relying on it says:

This  document specifies an enhancement to the Internet Message Format
and  to MIME that *allows use of Unicode in mail addresses* and most
header field content.

So which proposed standard do you adhere to?  It seems like if there's a
more lenient one, or more feature full one, that's much newer and that
people are using, that we should at least give that some real consideration.

If there's enough senders putting addresses in unicode format, and ASSP
obviously already knows how to decode them, is there any downside to having
ASSP allow unicode in addresses and decode it?  I've not seem spammers
doing this, and even if they did try to obscure addresses in unicode, ASSP
will still do its thing and check the discovered addresses the same way it
would if they had not.

I really don't know why senders are doing this, but they are, and it's mail
we need to get through.  The big one for us is SurveyMonkey, something that
our staff relies heavily on, but there are others too.

What do you think Thomas?   If I'm being logical, is there any hope of
getting this changed/enhanced?

Thanks